Chana Masala or Chole Masala is a common term used to mention a chickpeas curry. It is one of the most delicious curry if you like indian food. It can be made easily at home.
This Chole Masala Recipe will give you an authentic taste of Punjabi Chole. Restaurant style Chole Masala which taste so delicious that you can never miss.
What is Chickpeas Curry ?
Chana masala is a spicy curry made from chickpeas , tomato , onion , ginger , garlic and spices. You can have it with bhatura ( puffed deep fried bread ) , rice , Roti and Paratha.
Restaurant Style Chole masala recipe, Chole recipe , Chana masala recipe, Chole bhature, Kabuli Chana masala, Home made Chole Masala, Punjabi Chole, Kadhai chole. Here is step by step method of chana masala.
Ingredients to pressure cook the chickpeas
- Soaked Chana – 2 Cups
- Water – 5 Cups
- Cinnamon sticks – 2
- Tea bags – 2
- Cardamom – 2
Ingredients to prepare homemade masala
- Cumin – 2 tea spoon
- Coriander Seeds – 2 tea spoon
- Black paper – 1/2 tea spoon
- Dried chilli – 3
- Fennel seeds – 1 tea spoon
- Sesame seeds – 1 tea spoons
Ingredients to make Chickpeas curry
- Oil – 2 table spoon
- Cumin – 1/2 tea spoon
- Hing ( asafoetida ) – pinch
- Chopped Onion – 1 (medium size )
- Green chilli – 2
- Ginger and garlic paste – 1 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder- 1 tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tea spoon
- Chole masala – 1 tea spoon ( available in market )
- Salt – to taste
- Tomato puree – 3 table spoon
- Water – 2 cups
HOW TO MAKE CHOLE MASALA WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTO
Pressure cooking Chana
- Add 7 – 8 hours pre-soaked chole (2 cups) in a cooker.
2. Add 2 Cinnamon sticks , 2 Tea Bags , 2 Cardamom and 5 Cups of Water. In case tea bags are not available, boil 2 tsp tea with 1 cup of water for 3 minutes. Strain and add tea-water.
3. Pressure cook at medium flame for 5-6 whistles or until the chole cooked well
4. After opening the cooker, take out tea bags, cinnamon and black cardamom from cooked chole. Strain the Chole and reserve the stock (for later usage)
To prepare Homemade Masala
- In a pan, Dry roast 2 tsp cumin , 2 tsp Coriander seeds , Black pepper 1/2 tsp , 3 Dried Chili , 1 tsp Fennel seeds , 1 tsp Sesame seeds for 2-3 minutes.
2. Allow the roasted spices to cool off completely. Blend the roasted spices in a blender and take out in a separate bowl.
Chole Masala Curry Preparation
- In a pan heat 2 tbsp oil , add 1/2 tsp cumin and a pinch of hing ( asafoetida)
2. Add 1 chopped onion , 2 chopped green chili and 1 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
3. Fry the Onion till it becomes golden brown and now add 1 tsp turmeric powder , 2 tsp Coriander powder , 1/2 tsp Chili powder , roasted spices (prepared masala ) , Salt to taste and 1 tsp chole masala
4. Saute masala for a minute at low flame and now add 3 tbsp Tomato puree and cook till oil separates
5. Add Cooked Chole and 2 Cups of strained stock to the chole
6. Cover and Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the flavours are absorbed well